March 6, 2014

Low Carb Flourless "Peanut Butter" Cookies

Adapted from this recipe

These cookies entered the Pihl household by accident.

They weren't planned.

They weren't sought out.

They floated across my path in a serendipitous free fall of sorts.

You remember that I'm a librarian, right?  Well, my colleague recently fielded a reference question pertaining to classic peanut butter cookies.  This dear colleague also happens to be practicing a low-carb lifestyle, so being the recipient of dessert-related questions proves to be a new type of unsanctioned torture (for the both of us).

Side note: This colleague who practices low-carb eating does not partake in the cheat day extravaganzas Mr. Pihl and I do.  She has the discipline of a saint, and I'm in awe of her.  

Anywhoodle, she mentioned that she was asked a reference question about peanut butter cookies, and how at the conclusion she joked with the patron that they should enjoy a cookie for her since she couldn't have any.

That got the wheels in my head turning.

I knew that peanut butter in its own right isn't exactly low-carb compliant, but what if other nut butters were?  Sure enough, Mr. Pihl had a jar of cashew butter in our fridge.  Little did I know, I was standing on the edge of low-carb dessert heaven.

I found this classic recipe for flourless peanut butter cookies by Claire Robinson and set to work.  Four ingredients?  That seemed easy enough.

350 degrees and 10 minutes of baking time later, I knew that I'd stumbled upon something good.

Mr. Pihl's inability to speak whilst stuffing three cookies consecutively down his gullet confirmed my suspicions.

These cookies are scrumptious.

They're chewy.

They're just the right amount of sweet and savory.

They're so easy, it's absurd.

And they're low-carb, gluten-free, sugar-free, and diet-friendly.

It's official, folks.  I'm in love.

Anyhow, here's the secret!

You'll need:
  • 1 cup cashew butter or almond butter (Mr. Pihl prefers almond and I prefer cashew)
  • 1 cup sugar substitute (we used 1/2 stevia and 1/2 erythritol to cut stevia's bitter aftertaste)
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • parchment paper
Preheat the oven to 350 F.

Using a mixer, lightly blend the eggs, sugar substitute, and vanilla.  Add the cashew butter, and mix until well combined.

Spoon tablespoon-sized scoops onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper about 1 inch apart (I used my handy dandy small scoop from Pampered Chef).  Flatten the scoops with the tines of a fork.

Bake for 10-11 minutes, and allow to cool completely.  

I like soft, chewy cookies, so baking them for 10 minutes and then allowing them to cool on the cookie sheet sets them to my personal preference.  If you like a firmer/crispier cookie, bake for 12-15 minutes.

Enjoy with a nice cold glass of milk!


No comments :

Post a Comment