February 4, 2014

Tuesday Ten - Truvy-isms

Image Source

We have a snow day out here in the sticks, which means I have an extra day to catch up on post-travel "to-do's."  On the docket today is to continue the massive laundry project created by Mexico, deal with the disaster I fondly call a kitchen, try out our slow cooker, and lastly... stream Steel Magnolias through our Xbox One.

I know what you're thinking.

Why watch such a sad movie on a snow day?!


Well, for one, I can stream it for free through Amazon via Xbox.  I appreciate the humor, joy, and inherent strength of the women.

Secondly, I love Truvy.  She's brilliant, beautiful, sassy, and just a little snarky.  I want to be her when I grow up.

Thirdly, her one liners are phenomenal.  In fact, they've inspired today's Tuesday Ten!  Here are my favorite Truvy-isms.


One

"It takes some effort to look this good!"

The woman's hair is as huge as her heart is big.  My own head of hair has always secretly wished that it hailed from the South so it would have an excuse to carry the true amount of volume it was always destined for.  Really.  It told me so.


Two

"There's so much static electricity in this room, I pick up everything but boys and money."

The woman is a one-liner genius.  And sassy as all get out.  Amen.


Three

"I haven't left the house without lycra on these thighs since I was 14."

You've gotta love a fellow woman with an appreciation for shapewear.  Don't use it?  You haven't lived, my friend.  Spanx are your BFF.


Four

"Honey, time marches on and eventually you realize it's marchin' across your face."

Truer words were never spoken.  Pass the eye cream, please.  

Five

"Smile!  It increases your face value!"

Truvy appreciates the power of a smile.  Well, that and she shows love for her friends, especially in their times of need.

Six

"Please don't cry, or I will too.  I have a strict policy that nobody cries alone in my presence."

I think that Truvy has been spying on me.  Is there some kind scientific explanation for my tears-meets-air-meets-hormones-meets-my teary reaction that would explain why this is a phenomenon I frequently battle with?

Ahem.  Sniff.  Moving on.

Seven

"Oh, Sammy's so confused he don't know whether to scratch is watch or wind his butt."

Hardy har har!  Truvy, you're a silly lady with a hidden arsenal of wisdom.  Can I be you when I grow up?


Eight

"Oh honey, God don't care which church you go, long as you show up!"

Mr. Pihl and I hop between my church from my single gal days and and the church we got married in.  Once again, thank you Truvy!


Nine

"Laughter through tears is my favorite emotion."

Mine too!  The day after my Mexico/stitches/beach accident Mr. Pihl said something that had me laughing so hard I was crying.  I can't tell you how much better laughing like that after being in pain (and being quite irritated with myself for getting injured on our honeymoon) made me feel.  Mr. Pihl, I love you.


Ten

"It's okay, it's okay!  Women have babies everyday."

Okay, so this isn't one of Truvy's famous lines, but it IS the last line she spoke in the film!  I'm not sure about the play...  



If you haven't watched Steel Magnolias in a while, do yourself a favor and press play.  It'll make you appreciate your girlfriends like you wouldn't believe!

No comments :

Post a Comment