July 3, 2014

10 Reasons Why I'm Really Excited to be a Beginning Photographer



I've recently become obsessed with the idea of getting a better camera.  And by "better" I mean an actual camera.
I've been using my iPhone for everything.  This blog.  Documenting life.  Capturing proof that my vegetable garden is actually growing.  You get the idea.  Mr. Pihl is on board with project "camera acquisition" (actually, it was HIS idea), and we'll start shopping around in August - hence the "camera coming soon!" disclaimer on the photo above.

I've started pinning all sorts of awesome tips for beginners, ways to make your own in-home photo studio for newborn pictures (NO, mom -- I'm NOT pregnant), fun projects to tackle while learning to use a DSLR (which is what our acquisition plan is pointing towards), and much more.

See?


Obsessed.

So... here are my 10 reasons why I'm really excited to be a beginning photographer:

  1. Figuring out what the heck an aperture is.  I've always wanted a reason to read Pioneer Woman's What the Heck is an Aperture? series!!!
  2. Learning about the rule of thirds (which I OBVIOUSLY have never paid attention to, evident by my awful photography skillz).
  3. Getting acquainted with the Click it Up a Notch blog.  Yay!  I have a feeling that it will make its way to my favorites tab (up along the top of PK!) very soon.
  4. Checking out (literally) every book my local library has on photography for beginners.
  5. Getting to pick out a snazzy camera strap on Etsy.  Really, it's ridiculous how excited I am for this part.
  6. Getting to give photography as a gift.  Okay, so I'm waaay ahead of myself here, but Kansas is beautiful and I can already picture a canvas print in my future.
  7. Volunteering my services to this wonderful program.  Once again, I'm getting WAAAAAAAYYY ahead of myself in terms of abilities, but my heart melts at the idea of getting to provide (free) photography to the hurting families served by NILMDTS.
  8. Starting a photo series like this, hence the sneakers up at the top of this post.
  9. Capturing quality photographs to share here on PK (maybe that should have been #1???)
  10. Learning something new, and actually getting to SEE my progress.  How neat is that?  With photography you can actually see documented evidence of improvement.
Nifty.

So, here's where you can come into my new adventure.  Please share with me!  Post links to interesting/informative posts that have helped you in your photography journey in the comments section.  Have your own photography blog?  Even better!  I need help, man.

Happy snapping. 



1 comment :

  1. :) I saw, wondered, didn't ask…will wait for you two to tell us. Hmmm, was thinking about a good 1st anniversary gift to get you two. Photos are (used to be) based on paper…1st anniversary is paper…may Dad and I get you a camera for your 1st anniversary?

    ReplyDelete