July 16, 2014

Chocolate Peanut Butter Chex Treats (Gluten-Free)


Raise your hand if you LOVE Rice Krispy Treats!  (Both of my hands are raised)

Raise your hand if you're trying to eat predominantly gluten-free (GF)!  (Both of my hands are raised)

Raise your hand if your local grocery store does NOT carry GF Rice Krispies , but DOES carry GF Chex !  (Both of my hands are raised)

If your local grocery store does happen to carry GF Rice Krispies , then you have my blessing to make these squares of magic they way I initially sought to make them.

But you know what?  Chex .  Rice Krispies .  It's all cereal, man.  And after we're done introducing them to some melted marshmallows and some melted butter, nomenclature won't matter anymore.

My favorite thing about marshmallow treats is that you can top them with ANYTHING.  Two weeks ago I made these with white chocolate chips, chocolate chips, drizzled caramel, and drizzled chocolate.  Plus extra marshmallows on top, of course.


And they were AMAZING.

Ooey.  And gooey.  And CHOCOLATY.

I envision a marshmallow, chocolate, caramel, and Heath bar chip situation next time these grace my kitchen.

This time around however, I decided to mix things up and top them with marshmallows, chocolate chips, and Reese's peanut butter chips (in the baking aisle) as well as melted versions of each.


Oh, so yummy.



I use the traditional method of making the main part of the treat (1 10 ounce bag of mini marshmallows, plus one 1/4 cup melted butter) but I add in a leetle more marshmallows.  I like the ooey and the gooey.  Oh, do I like it.



Anyhow, here's the secret!

You'll need:

  • 8 cups gluten-free Rice Chex cereal
  • 1 10 ounce bag of mini marshmallows PLUS an additional bag if you elect to add in extra (like me) and/or top your bars with more (like me)
  • 1/4 cup (half a stick) of butter PLUS 1 tablespoon for coating a pan/baking dish and your hands
  • 1 bag of Reese's peanut butter chips (baking aisle)
  • 1 bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
Butter the baking dish with the 1/4 tablespoon of butter, keeping any excess set to the side (we'll use this later!).

Melt the butter and 1 bag of marshmallows (plus about 1/2 cup extra, if you're like me) in a microwave stirring between 1-minute intervals or on a stovetop in a large pot.  Stir until mixed.  

Transfer the mix into the buttered baking dish.  Add in the cereal and mix well until combined.

Remember that extra butter from the pan?  Rub it all over your palms, and press the marshmallow/cereal mixture into submission.

Arrange your toppings!  For these guys, I spread 1/2 a bag of the peanut butter chips and 1/2 a bag of chocolate chips along with 2 cups of marshmallows across the bars.  

Melt the remaining 1/2 bags of chips in two separate containers in a microwave in 30-45 second intervals, stirring until melted.

Drizzle* the melted chocolate and peanut butter mixtures over the bars.

Allow to cool for one hour or place in fridge for 15 minutes to allow the drizzle to firm.  

Cut and enjoy!

*I added a few tablespoons of milk to the melted peanut butter chips in order for it to be thin enough to drizzle.  


1 comment :