April 5, 2014

Detoxing by Slacking Off

Last week Mr. Pihl and I went to Los Angeles to see my family and to visit one of our favorite places.

If you know anything about us at all, you're probably not surprised to learn that one of our favorite places is Disneyland.


We are adults with a serious childhood magical nostalgia affliction.

Also known as a problem.

But we like it that way!

Especially when one of the side effects of having this particular problem includes access to a Ghirardelli Ice Cream Parlor inside Disney's California Adventures park.


Which we just so happened to frequent TWICE on our trip.  Don't judge.

Mr. Pihl was very excited (as you can tell by the crazy look in his eyes).

But, so was I.  When I saw my ice cream order come over the counter, I had to wipe the drool off of my face and my phone in time to snap a quick photo...


...before proceeding to devour my cookies and cream plus espresso chip double scoop in a freshly formed waffle bowl with caramel sauce.

It was a sticky task (literally!) but someone had to do it. (And I wonder why my jeans are tight this week...)

Our Disneyland trip was wonderful!  We got to eat at some of our favorite spots (Blue Bayou, Crossroads at House of Blues, ESPN Zone) and see some of my favorite people (my parents, my gal pal Karissa and her groom).

Poor Mr. Pihl was feeling pretty sick during our L.A visit, so we didn't tackle Disneyland the way we typically do.

We didn't even remember to take a photo of ourselves until we were about to leave the park!

This is what resulted:


Aaaaand it looks like I'm checking my sinuses.

Fabulous.

Anywhoodle, we made it back to my parent's home in northern L.A. County that night.  Mr. Pihl's ill-self was passed out in the front seat of our rental car (which closely resembled a clown car from the circus I never went to as a child) while I did battle with the crazy southern California drivers traffic I hadn't been around for quite some time.

Apparently, Mother Nature wanted to make my driving experience even more terrifying because she threw a 5.1 earthquake in for the fun of it.

Yup.

Mr. Pihl slept through his first earthquake, and I had no idea it was happening.  When we found out that we had driven through an earthquake, he was pretty peeved that he'd missed it.

Have you ever tried to drive during an earthquake?  The only way I can think of to describe this experience would be: you're trying to operate a moving vehicle through a slip-and-slide made of noodles while other vehicles are speeding next to you, also driving on slip-and-slides made of noodles.

Doesn't that sound like a riot?

Yeah.... not so much.

But we made it safely.  So, that's awesome.

My parents decided to throw a little get together for folks from California who hadn't yet met my groom and/or weren't able to make it to the wedding last November.  It was so fun to see folks - some of whom I hadn't seen in nearly TEN years, therefore making me feel OLD.

Where does the time go, I ask you.  WHERE???

I comforted myself by eating approximately 4.5 cupcakes out of the three dozen my parents bought for the par-tay.


How do you choose which one to pick when there are so many good looking ones?!







I mean, come on!  CAKE!!!

And I wanted to try them ALL.

Which I basically did through a series of splitting cupcakes with various party-goers, until I realized that I'd eaten an equivalent of 3.5.  So I went ahead and had a whole one to myself for good measure.

Which leads me to the title of this post...

Four straight days of sugar, one sick husband, a plane flight delayed by two hours, and a significant lack of sleep from travel required a week of detox on my part.

A week of detox on my part lead to quite a bit of water, quite a bit of work, and quite a bit of sitting on my tush in my free time watching the TV show 24 so that I'll be caught up when the new season begins in May.

Better known as slacking off.

So, that's my excuse as to why I haven't posted in 8 days,

Or really exercised in any way.

Whoopsie.

No comments :

Post a Comment