March 26, 2014

Low Carb, Grain Free Tortillas

Adapted from this recipe by Danielle Walker at AgainstAllGrain.com
My journey into the world of living a low-carb lifestyle has been bumpy at times.  Mr. Pihl has been patient and supportive through it all, thank goodness.  So far he's been okay with eating the bulk of our meals with a fork.

Wow.  That sounded primitive.

What I mean is:  No pizza crust?  Make a pizza casserole.  No tortillas?  Make a taco salad.

Get the idea?  Forks.  It's what we use for dinner.

I'm happy to say that after a bit of research and one awesome non-stick ceramic pan... I have found my purpose in the low-carb world.

Introducing... a low-carb, grain-free, gluten-free, tortilla of awesomeness.


They're relatively easy, provided you have a non-stick pan.  If you don't have a trustworthy one, wait to try these until you acquire one.  Trust me.  Waiting will spare you batter-induced angst, my friend.

Anywhoodle, the gal who inspired these mentions that the same basic recipe can be used for crepes, lasagna "noodles," etc...

Lasagna, anyone?

Lasagna is in my low-carb future.  I just know it.

But, back to my point.

After eating Mexican food with a fork for nearly two years, it seemed like a low-carb sin to pick up this guy, and inhale him in approximately 45 seconds.


But, it wasn't a sin!

It was totally divine!

I headed right back to our makeshift pulled pork taco bar for round two.


And for round three.

The first time I tried out these tortillas, they were good and fit their purpose, but they were a wee bit flimsy.  Once you picked up your taco or burrito, it was a race against the clock to see if you could eat it before it crumbled into taco salad out of your hands and onto your plate (or lap, if you're like me).

This time I left them in the pan a little longer and had the heat on a little higher.  Some of them look overly... toasted...


... but the effect added to the overall structural integrity of the tortillas, making them more like, well, a TORTILLA.

If you've ever made a crepe (I'm talking to you, mom) then these tortillas will be a walk in the park.

You will have to utilize the sacred art of the batter pour,


the swirl to coat,


and the watch.

Watch for the edges to begin to rise a bit, I mean.  At that point, they're nearly ready to flip.


These can be frozen and used later.  I have yet to used them after they've met their current icy habitat, but I'm sure they'll be great in that future lasagna my subconscious keeps feeling the need to mention.

Enough talk.  More eating!


Mmmm....

Anyhow, here's the secret!

You'll need:

  • 1 cup organic milk (we use whole milk)
  • 1/2 cup coconut flour
  • 1 1/2 cups egg whites (I actually used egg substitute because we had it in the fridge)
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
Note: You may also find that spraying your nonstick with cooking spray in between each round may help.  It didn't for my pans, but it works for my mom's crepes!

Mix all ingredients.  Allow the batter to sit for 10 minutes or so, to allow the coconut flour to absorb some of the liquid ingredients.  The batter will become thicker, so you can give it another whisk before cooking with it.

Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat (and spray with cooking spray, if your pan requires it).

Pour in about a 1/4 cup of batter, tilting the pan so that the base of the skillet is evenly coated and the tortilla-to-be is thin.  After 1-2 minutes the bottom should be set enough for the edges to begin to curl upwards.  Using a thin spatula (or if you're a little crazy like me, your fingers) flip the tortilla, cooking for another 1-2 minutes.

Carefully remove the tortilla from the pan and transfer to a plate.

Repeat this process until all batter has been transformed into tortillas.  

Don't be surprised or discouraged if your first few tries result in torn, clumpy, or any other negative aspects of this of batter-plus-heat adventure.  Practice, and I promise you'll nail it.

No comments :

Post a Comment