February 20, 2014

The Best Low-Carb Pizza This Side of Chicago


Pizza is no laughing matter.

If you're a pizza purist (I'm talking to YOU, New York and Chicago), then avert your eyes now.

If you love pizza but have to admit that your pants are getting a little tight so-you-might-want-to-forego-the-crust on this round, then read on, my comrade.

This recipe came to me in a dream.  A dream of tomato-ey, cheesy, melty goodness.

Thank heavens it worked when I tried it out.  Oh my, did it work!

Mr. Pihl loved it and so did I.

This might have been my third helping.
The ooeyness?  The gooeyness?  The beefy, meaty, pizza-y substance of it all?

Fuggetaboutit.

My favorite part?

You can add any combination of your favorite pizza toppings!  Well, unless you live with a husband with mutant-like tendencies who doesn't like black olives.  Then you'll have to go without.

No, I didn't just call Mr. Pihl a mutant.  I just said he has mutant-like tendencies.  There's a difference.  Afterall, who doesn't like black olives???!!!

I'll tell ya who.  Mr. Pihl's who.

Make this for your church potluck this weekend.  I probably will!

Anyhow, here's the secret!

You'll need:
  • A deep casserole dish
  • Cooking spray
  • 1 lb lean ground beef
  • 1 lb ground Italian sausage
  • 1 yellow onion, chopped
  • 2 1/2 cups freshly shredded mozzarella
  • 1 green bell pepper, diced
  • 1 small package of sliced fresh mushrooms
  • Pepperoni - as much as your heart desires
  • Sliced black olives (unless you're married to a husband with the mutant-like black-olive-hating tendencies mentioned above)
For the pizza sauce:
  • 12 oz can tomato paste
  • 12 oz warm water
  • 4-5 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
  • 2 teaspoons minced garlic
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • salt to taste
  • If your diet allows for honey, throw in 2 tablespoons.  It'll change your perspective on pizza sauce.
Preheat the oven to 400 F.

Brown the ground beef and the Italian sausage in the same skillet, adding in the chopped onion after the meat begins to brown.  When cooked, pirouette over to the cupboard where you keep your colanders and drain the meat in order to remove any grease.

Heat all ingredients for the pizza sauce on low and stir until well mixed.  Remove sauce from heat and mix the browned meat and onions into the sauce.

Lightly mist your casserole dish with the cooking spray.  Begin to layer the meat, pepperoni, cheese, green bell peppers, and sliced mushrooms (and olives, if that floats your boat).  I had enough to make two gigantically thick layers in my deep dish dish.

Bake at 400 F for 30-40 minutes.

For the love of Pete, allow it to cool for 10 minutes before chomping into it and burning the roof of your mouth.  

Yeah... I didn't follow the cooling part.  But there's always next time.

4 comments :

  1. green peppers, that was not on my ingredient list! oh well next time ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used black olives instead of mushrooms!! The sauce is so good! Waiting for it to come out of the oven!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG That was so good! Didn't even miss the crust. Mike really liked it! I will make it again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad that you both enjoyed it! Our church pot-luck folks sure did as well! I've updated a few of the ingredients in the sauce list, due to a previous oversight of mine! Same things, just a little more MORE (of the dried ingredients and such).

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete