December 27, 2013

Social Media Icons Will Give You Nightmares!

Getting Pihling Kansas on its feet has been fun/rewarding/challenging/confusing/overwhelming/gibberish-laden at times.  Domains, code, script, and templates have since become the stuff of nightmares for me.  Last night I decided to begin the task of getting social media icons on my sidebar.

See the orange-ish buttons over there to the right?

They're my current pride and joy after quite a few trial and error experiences.

But, being the giving person I am, I've decided to share the wealth with you.

Yup.  I'm a giving, A-type personality, oldest child like that.


So.

I started my bumpy journey at this post by Pam at DIY Design Fanatic (Pam was super helpful, by the way.  Thanks, Pam!):

http://www.diydesignfanatic.com/2013/08/how-to-add-social-media-buttons-to-your.html

Which lead me to this video on how to install social media icons on Blogger:


It makes a lot of sense, right?!

It makes sense until you forget to resize icons that you only sorta liked in the first place and now they're HUGE and lining your sidebar in a vertical placement but this whole time all you really wanted were little, pretty, simple ones in a dagumned horizontal layout.

And then you proceed to write in run-on sentences.  My first grade teacher must be cringing right now.  Sorry, Mrs. Ullman!

Where was I?  Oh, right.  At this point, I decided to get picky and tried to hunt for the "perfect" free social media icons.

Word to the wise?  They don't exist.

A lot of Pinterest browsing informed me of that little gem.

So.  I finally came across this (divine) resource from Ashton at Something Swanky which provided free social media silhouettes:

http://www.somethingswanky.com/free-social-media-icon-silhouettes-and-how-to-use-them-in-picmonkey-com/

Ashton is my new bff.  She just doesn't know it yet.  And she has no idea who I am.  But it's cool.

Anyhow, her awesome silhouettes worked perfectly in the photo editing site she recommended (www.picmonkey.com) and now appear in Pic Monkey color ffpb25 directly under my "Meet Amy" photo.

So there you have it.

Welcome to my nightmare.

If you decide to start a blog, use the links in this post.  Don't adopt my nightmares.  And by all means, don't be like me.

There's enough "crazy redhead" on the web for a lifetime.

Over and out,

ABP

No comments :

Post a Comment