January 6, 2014

0-for-3

It was a rough weekend in the Pihl household.

The Kansas City Chiefs lost.

The Kansas University Jayhawks lost.

The Green Bay Packers lost.

See what I mean?  Rough.

I won't bore you with all of the gnarly details, but the art of sports fan-dom is taken very seriously in our household.  When our team loses, we feel it in our hearts.  When they win, we celebrate with them, turning Gatorade jugs over on each other.

Really.

On Saturday night after the heartbreaking Indianapolis Colts versus the Kansas City Chiefs loss, Mr. Pihl, our guests, and I decided to drown our sorrows in adult beverages and a few rounds of The Game of Things.


Have you ever played it?  It's HIL-arious.  Especially when you have eight tipsy and disgruntled  Chiefs fans at the table.   In a nutshell, the game consists of a card prompt, each player writing a secret response to the prompt, and then all others at the table trying to guess who wrote what prompt.


I'll spare you the ugly details of the night, but things definitely got nutty.   Especially with this card.


This card was a doozy. 

Overnight we got another layer of white, fluffy snow accompanied by a gloriously freezing negative windchill.   And blowing snow drifts.  And the chance to break out our boots and clear our pathways.



Only to later have the aforementioned blowing snow drifts camouflage our work.

And by "our work" I mean Mr. Pihl's work.

That afternoon the same eight sulking Chiefs fans from the previous night came over to watch the San Diego State versus KU mens basketball game (on our GIGANTOR projector screen downstairs) while I watched the San Francisco 49ers versus the Green Bay Packers football game upstairs (with Xbox).

Me watching the Packers typically involves a lot of curling into the fetal position, uncurling long enough to cheer, curling back up while spazing out long enough to direct inappropriate language at the refs/coaches/opposing team/Packers.  Wash, rinse and repeat.

About the time my will to live cheering spirit was deflating during the Packers game, I caught wind from downstairs the the Jayhawks had lost their game.

B tried to cheer me up right about then, because I think that she knew that it was about to become an 0-for-3 weekend in the Pihl household.


She's so cute.  And happy.  And impervious to the woes of sports fan-dom.


Cutie.

Shortly thereafter my Packers lost.  There are no words to adequately express my sorrow.  Or my angst towards the San Francisco 49ers.

I'm a sore loser.

Sensing my angst, B decided to ditch me and comfort Mr. Pihl instead.


Sigh.

So, that was our (overly disappointing) weekend.

How was yours?

No comments :

Post a Comment