December 23, 2013

Carb Fest

During normal months, Mr. Pihl and I practice low-carb eating.

I know.  It's rough.  I'm a lover of sugar, sweet potatoes, and bread.  And rice.  And baked goods.  And beer.  And...

Ahem.

Anyhow, while we DO practice a generally low-carb lifestyle throughout the week, we also allow for "cheat days" once a week.  On a cheat day we can indulge in whatever we want.  

Truth be told, December 2013 has turned into an ENTIRE cheat MONTH, which I'd really like to ignore.  My new muffin top however is a serious blow to my reality.

But moving on...

Friday night was one of our cheat meals, and we went to Salina's new microbrewery, Blue Skye Brewery.  

It's wonderful.

Firstly, you seat yourself.  Each time we have indulged on our carb-cravings and visited Blue Skye we end up sharing a table with strangers and have a marvelous time.  

The inside feels urban and cozy at the same time.


This was the view from our table.  I'm too much of a featherhead to have remembered to turn around and snap a picture of the other half of the brewery.  You'll just have to check it out yourself sometime.

Part of the allure of Blue Skye is that they have an honest-to-goodness brick pizza oven.


It makes superb pizzas by the way.  Well, with the help of the cooks, of course!

I tried to snap a shot of the menu, but then the waiter came up for our beer order and I got so excited that I forgot to turn off my flash.


Whoops.

The beer was so worth it, though.


Mr. Pihl tried their Pale Ale and I tacked their seasonal porter.


My opinion of the name "Ebenezer" has forever been altered.  It was delicious.

So is their Fire Engine Red.  And the Dirty 'Ol Stout.  When they opened, Blue Skye also offered an autum seasonal called Novemberfest.  Mmmmm....  One of my favorites!


Hmm...  I sound like a lush.

Hic*

Well, we ordered the Cantina pizza and the Thai Chicken pizza.

In one word, they're amazeballs.


I ordered the Sriracha on the side because I highly value the function of my taste buds.  I did dribble some on, but "some" was enough for this redhead.

All that beer inspired a need to locate the ladies' room, outside of which I discovered this lovely piece:


There are a bunch more just like it running the length of the hall!

Anyhow, carb night was a total success in so many ways.  Firstly, it's always a winner when adult beverages plus pizza are involved.  B, I got to sit across the table from this handsome fella...


And 3, the conversations we shared with those at our table had me laughing until my stomach was sore.

Take it from me:  Enjoy your carbs when you can!

Merry Christmas!

Mrs. Pihl

No comments :

Post a Comment